- Next course: To be announced
- Cost: $600
- Enrollment limited to 15 students.
- Questions or to be notified of next course: email Lori Brewer email@example.com
- View full course syllabus.
Looking to start a school or community-based garden program, but do not know where to begin? This course focuses on the foundations and benefits of garden-based learning, and provides the tools, resources, and collaborative support needed to plan, organize and develop a successful and sustainable gardening program that fits your organization's needs.
Upon completion of this course you will:
- understand the foundations of garden-based learning and its benefits
- explore and identify available resources, case studies, research, and successful school and community-based garden programs
- utilize logic models to identify program inputs, activities, and desired outcomes
- use real world tools to practice and develop a garden-based learning program in alignment with program needs
- build a toolbox of resources and portfolio of program planning, deliverables, and strategies for sustainability
- collaborate to build a community of learners and connect with others and utilize various forms of technology for teaching and learning within a distance-learning online course
This course is designed to enrich the practice of community-based gardening in schools and communities, for children, youth and adult audiences, and to encourage a network of state and nation-wide educators, volunteers and communities who will learn and grow together.
This course focuses on the foundations and program planning strategies of garden-based learning (GBL), and provides an opportunity to use real world tools to develop a GBL program. Through hands-on learning, participants will become more confident and knowledgeable garden-based educators, will connect with and learn from others with the same purpose, and leave with a toolbox of valuable tools and resources that are easily integrated into schools, youth, adult, or community programs.
Course Timetable at a Glance
- Week 1: Course begins/ Course Introductions
- Week 2: Foundations of Garden-Based Learning
- Weeks 3 & 4: Planning, Organizing and Starting Your Gardening Program
- Week 5: Program Evaluation and Planning for Long-term Sustainability
- Week 6: Gardening 101