- Cost: $675
- Next course: To be announced.
- Questions? Email email@example.com
- To be notified of next course, fill out this form.
- Refund policy
This online course was developed in response to a strong, growing interest in organic gardening and is intended to examine the basics of small-scale organic gardening. The topics and depth of information offered will help new gardeners learn the basics and feel comfortable getting started, while also offer more experienced gardeners the opportunity to expand their knowledge base. This course may not be ideal for very experienced organic gardeners. Additionally, students will walk away with a wealth of resources to look into for further study
The course has a strong foundation in soil health and its impact on plant health and a whole systems approach to gardening. The course also explores various techniques for growing different kinds of garden plants – annuals and perennials, food plants and ornamentals.
Participants are required to read assigned material, view recorded presentations, participate in online group discussions with other students, complete reflective writing/design work and take part in some hands-on activities. Though the class isn’t “live”, it is designed to keep a pace of one topic each week (see outline and syllabus below). The content for the week is posted every Monday. You work at your own pace during the week, and assignments are due Sunday. Most students spend 3-4 hours/week with the content, though there are always ample resources and opportunity to do more.
The course is non-credit, and we present a certificate of completion to all those who participate in the whole course.
- Week 1:Introduction: What is Organic Gardening? Knowing Your Site.
- Week 2: Soil, Compost, and Mulch
- Week 3: Vegetables and Flowers: Site Design & Planning for the Season
- Week 4: Vegetables and Flowers: Early, Mid, Late Season Crops; Harvesting, Herbs
- Week 5: Maintenance a & Managing Pests Organically
- Week 6: Trees, Shrubs, and Herbaceous Perennials: The Long-Term Landscape
- Optional Extra Readings: Advanced Topics for the Adventurous Gardener