Taylor`s research program can best be described as "modern seed technology," with many well-organized projects for multi-stakeholders. The emphasis is on post-harvest aspects of seed quality/dormancy, seed treatments and coating technologies. Projects range from applied seed technology to more fundamental aspects of seed biology on vegetable crop, industrial hemp, agronomic crop, cover crop and weed seeds.
Research ranges from applied aspects of seed technology to more fundamental aspects of seed biology.
Research is focused on post-harvest aspects of seeds with emphasis on coating technologies, and seed treatments. Seed treatments include chemical and biological methods to protect seeds and seedlings from insects and diseases. Laboratory-scale coating equipment is used in this program including film coating, rotary pan technology and low volume application. Additional projects include the study of seed coat permeability in relation to systemic seed treatments. Seed investigations on vegetable crop, hemp, and agronomic seeds.
Outreach and Extension Focus
10% FTE in Extension in Seed Science and Technology
Study of the principles and practices involved in seed production, conditioning, storage, quality management and stand establishment. Information is applicable to various kinds of agricultural and horticultural seeds. There will be a special field trip and lab on industrial hemp. Hands-on laboratory experience with exposure to the seed industry.
Awards and Honors
- Leadership, dedication and service to the New York State Seed Testing Laboratory (2017) CALS
- Appreciation letter for dedicated leadership of the NYS Seed Testing Lab (2016) NYS Dept of Ag and Mkts from Richard Ball, Commissioner of Agriculture
- Dedication plaque "For your dedicated research of seed treatment (2016) Atlantic Seed Association
- Best Paper (2013) AAIC (Association for the Advancement of Industrial Crops)
- Seed Science Award (2003) Crop Science Society of America
- Wilson, H. T., Amirkhani, M., & Taylor, A. G. (2018). Evaluation of gelatin as a biostimulant seed treatment to improve plant performance. Frontiers in Plant Science. 9.
- Yang, D., Donovan, S., Black, B. C., Cheng, L., & Taylor, A. G. (2018). Relationships between compound lipophilicity on seed coat permeability and embryo uptake by soybean and corn. Seed Science Research. 28:229-235.
- Yang, D., Avelar, S. A., & Taylor, A. G. (2018). Systemic seed treatment uptake during imbibition by corn and soybean. Crop Science. 58:2063-2070.
- Mohler, C. L., Taylor, A. G., DiTommaso, A., Hahn, R. R., & Bellinder, R. R. (2018). Effects of incorporated rye and hairy vetch cover crop residue on the persistence of weeds in the soil. Weed Science. 66:379-385.
- Huang, W., Mayton, H., Amirkhani, M., Wang, D., & Taylor, A. G. (2017). Seed dormancy, germination and fungal infestation of eastern gamagrass seed. Industrial Crops and Products. 99:109-115.
- Amirkhani, M., Netravali, A., Huang, W., & Taylor, A. G. (2016). Investigation of Soy Protein–based Biostimulant Seed Coating for Broccoli Seedling and Plant Growth Enhancement. HortScience. 51:1121–1126.
- Sikao, P., Taylor, A. G., Marino, E. T., Catranis, C. M., & Siri, B. (2015). Development of seed agglomeration technology using lettuce and tomato as model vegetable crop seeds. Scientia Horticulturae. 184:85-92.
- Dias, M. A., Taylor, A. G., & Cicero, S. M. (2014). Uptake of systemic treatments by maize seeds evaluated with fluorescent tracers. Seed Science and Technology. 42:101-107.
- Kavak, S., & Taylor, A. G. (2013). Caryopsis extraction from big bluestem spikelets (Andropogon gerardii) with seed conditioning equipment: optimal water activity for recovery and seed quality. Seed Science and Technology. 41:60-72.
- Rushing, J. B., Baldwin, B. S., Taylor, A. G., Owens, V. N., Fike, J. H., & Moore, K. J. (2013). Seed safening from herbicidal injury in switchgrass establishment. Crop Science. 53:1650-1657.
Presentations and Activities
- Advancements on Seed Treatment and Coating Technologies. April 2019. Iowa State University Seed Science Center. Ames, Iowa.
- Industrial Hemp Seed Investigations. AAIC 2018 Association for the Advancement of Industrial Crops: Pathway to Commercialization of Industrial Crops. September 2018. Association for the Advancement of Industrial Crops, Ontario Agricultural College, University of Guelph and Bioindustrial Innovation Canada. London, ON Canada.
- Systemic Seed Treatment Uptake. Crops and Chemicals USA. July 2018. Raleigh, NC.