Research is focused on endophytic plant symbionts in the genus Trichoderma and on development of systems and processes for environmental remediation and for improved horticultural practices
My foci deal with elucidation and understanding of beneficial plant microbe interactions and translation of this knowledge to commercial reality. The work on agricultural waste products is designed both to understand the interactions of lignocelluloses and to develop systems for their use in practical uses for pollution remediation
Outreach and Extension Focus
The biocontrol research is expected to result in improved products for nontoxic control systems for control of plant diseases and to improve plant productivity and yield. I am focused on commercial vehicles for delivery of these. Similarly, I am engaged in a local start-up company, Terrenew, that is well along towards commercial utilization of agricultural waste products, through appropriate processing and manufacturing systems, for pollution remediation and that is located in the Cornell Agricultural and Food Technology Park.
- Harman, G. E. (2011). TrichodermaÑnot just for biocontrol anymore (Guest Editorial). Phytoparasitica. 39:103-108.
- Harman, G. E., Obregón, M. A., Samuels, G. J., & Lorito, M. (2010). Changing models for commercialization and implementation of biocontrol in the developing and developed world [feature article]. Plant Disease. 94:928-939.
- Shoresh, G. E., & Harman, G. E. (2010). Differential expression of maize chitinases in the presence or absence of Trichoderma harzianum strain T22 and indications of a novel exo- endo-heterodimeric chitinase activity. BMC Plant Biology. 10:136.
- Shoresh, M., Harman, G. E., & Matouri, F. (2010). Induced systemic resistance and plant responses to fungal biocontrol agents. Annual Review of Phytopathology. 48:21-43.
- Mastouri, F., Bjorkman, T. N., & Harman, G. E. (2010). Seed treatments with Trichoderma harzianum alleviate biotic, abiotic and physiological stresses in germinating seeds and seedlings. Phytopathology. 100:1213-1221.
- Lorito, M., Woo, S. L., Harman, G. E., & Monte, E. (2010). Translational research on Trichoderma: from –omics to the field. Annual Review of Phytopathology. 48:395-417.
- Harman, G. E., Bjorkman, T. N., Ondik, K., & Shoresh, M. (2008). Changing paradigms on the mode of action and uses of Trichoderma spp for biocontrol. Outlooks in Pest Management. 19:24-29.
- Tian, S., & Harman, G. E. (2008). Defense response induced by seed treatment with Trichoderma harzianum in maize Mo17. Acta Phytopathologica Sinica. 38:626-634.
- Shores, M., & Harman, G. E. (2008). Genome-wide identification, expression and chromosomal location of the chitinase genes in Zea mays. Molecular Genetics and Genomics. 280:173-185.