Research and extension efforts in the Reiners Lab are designed to maintain and enhance the profitability and sustainability of New York vegetable farmers in both the short and long term. Short-term projects are designed to provide growers with the best cultural methods to grow crops, including:
- Fertility management
- Optimizing plant populations
- Variety selection for the processing vegetable industry.
Long-term projects include:
- Fine-tuning cover crop use to maximize nutrient recycling and reduce disease incidence
- Improving fertilizer recommendations
- Determining how variety selection and fertility practices affect disease tolerance